The massive size of these tanks, in addition to extra weight from a previous re-lining, necessitated a creative strategy for removal. To accomplish this, RW Collins utilized a ‘tandem pick plan’ using two 100,000-lb excavators. Throughout the removal, our equipment operators maintained constant communication with the ground crew. These safety measures ensured a safe lift and transportation of the tanks. Once the tanks were removed, they were decommissioned and sheared onsite for recycling at a licensed facility.
- This project required our safety manager to complete a three-day safety course specializing in EM 385 Fall Protection standards
- 181,700 total gallons of USTs removed in only five days
- (1) 34,200-gallon, (3) 30,000-gallon, (2) 25,000-gallon, and (1) 7,500-gallon tanks removed
- Tank material: Single-wall steel with epoxy reline
- Equipment used: Caterpillar 345C & 336F excavators & 315D with shear attachment
- Personnel: two operators, two laborers & site safety manager
- Project completed safely and without incident